#TalkCTPoverty– Advocacy Day and Breakfast
WHEN: Thursday, February 16th from 8:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
WHAT: We will talk with legislators about the state of the safety net and the importance of funding programs that support CT’s neediest.
CABHN, End Hunger CT!, the Connecticut Association for Human Services, and Mothers for Justice invite you to the 4th annual #TalkCTPoverty Advocacy Day and Breakfast! House Majority Leader Matt Ritter will help us kick off the event. We will distribute personalized folders to each legislator and talk with them about the importance of the programs and policies that keep Connecticut families out of poverty. We hope you will join us! Flyer here.
Poverty is rising in Connecticut!
- 367,000 state residents live below the Federal Poverty Line
- In CT’s cities, approximately 25% of people live in poverty
- 15% of children statewide live in poverty
- Poverty rates for black (20.5%) and Hispanic (24.9%) residents in the state are three times that of white residents (7.9%)
Enjoy free breakfast and networking at 8:30 a.m.
For more information, contact Paola Serrecchia, 860-904-5431, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Legislative Education Forum:
Connecticut State Budget: What is it? What can you do about it?
The Connecticut Alliance for Basic Human Needs (CABHN) invites you to its free annual Legislative Education Forum. This year the forum topic is: The Connecticut State Budget: What is it? What can you do about it? Join Sen. Beth Bye, Rep. Toni Walker, legislators, legislative staff, advocates, and lobbyists to learn how the budget process works, points in the process where you can have an impact, and the current state of Connecticut’s budget.
– How a budget becomes a budget (including the post-budget process, revisions, and line item vetoes)
– Points in process when one may influence the budget making process
– Connecticut’s current budget climate: Causes and solutions
The forum is free and open to all.
When: Friday, November 18, from 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
View the CT-N video about the conference!
Click below to download conference materials:
- Understanding and Navigating the State Budget Process (PowerPoint)
- The State Economy, The State Budget, and The State of Our Children (PowerPoint)
- Influencing the Budget (Lobbying PowerPoint)